I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Thursday 26 December 2013

Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cookies

Every year I like to try at least one new recipe when I do my Christmas baking.  This year I decided to look for one to help use up left over candy canes because ever year we seem to have some left over ones that do not get eaten off the Christmas tree.  I love the combination of peppermint and chocolate so when I came across a recipe that used them both I knew it was one that I would have to try.
These cookies turned out to be very tasty and like a shortbread cookie.  The time consuming part about this recipe, or anyone using chopped up candy canes in my opinion is the unwrapping the candy canes and chopping them up.  The best way I have found is to chop them in my food processor but then you do get a fair bit of candy cane powder.  Please let me know if you have found a way that works well!

Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup crushed candy canes
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
  3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and then add the vanilla and peppermint.
  4. In a separate bowl combine the flour, tartar, soda and salt.  Then mix this into the creamed mixture.
  5. Stir in the candy cane chunks and chocolate chips.
  6. Spoon onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8 - 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment