I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Red Current Compote

I love currents and at the farm we have about 15 red current bushes.  This year we have collected quite the harvest.  This year we decided to pick the sprays off the bushed and because of the heat we would remove the individual currents in the cool of our home.  We had 12 litres of sprays to process so we enlisted the help of my in-laws to help us with the task.  They were awesome and we had a lovely couple of hours talking while working.  Before we started I thought it would be nice to bribe them with some baked brie cheese and a red current compote.  It was such a hit some individuals (not mentioning any names) mopped up their plates and the serving bowl in order to make sure there was not any wasted.
This recipe is simple and very enjoyable.  Depending on how many people you are planning to feed with it, you may want to double the recipe.  It goes well with meats as well as cheese and can be used as a spread for bread.

Red Current Compote

1 1/2 cups red currents
6 tbsp red wine
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp corn starch
  1. Combine the ingredients into a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir it while it comes to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat and continue stirring until it reaches the desired consistancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment