I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Monday 3 December 2012

Gingerbread Crackle Cookies

Every year I like to try at least one new cookie recipe at Christmas time and this is the first new one I have tried this year.  These turned out spectacular!  I love how they made my house smell like Christmas while I was baking them.  I like how you don't have to wait for the dough to chill before baking them.  All you have to do is roll the balls up, roll them in sugar and then stick them in the oven.  Very simple and straight forward.  I had someone working on replacing the carpet when I made them and he couldn't resist.  He said that he approved them.


Gingerbread Crackle Cookies


  • 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
  • 2 tsp (10 ml) gingerbread spices
  • 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
  • 3/4 cup (180 ml) shortening
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup (180 ml) white sugar, divided (reserve 1/4 cup (60 ml) for rolling)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp (45 ml) molasses
  • 2 tsp (10 ml) Vanilla
  • 1. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
    2. Whisk first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
    3. In a second bowl, cream shortening with brown sugar and 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar.
    4. Stir in egg, molasses and Vanilla Extract.
    5. Gradually add dry ingredients, beating well after each addition.
    6. Place remaining white sugar in a shallow bowl. Form cookies by rolling into 1” (2.5 cm) balls; roll in sugar and place 2” (5 cm) apart on  a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
    7. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies ‘crackle’ on top. Cool before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment