I love to entertain and try new recipes. This is a way for me to share some of the recipes I have tried and what I have thought of them. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if there are some recipes you would like me to try.

Friday 22 June 2012

Mango Strawberry Daiquiri Jam

This jam was not one that I had planned to make in advance, it just kind of happened when I realized I had all the ingredients I needed for it.  I have a bunch of strawberry plants in my backyard and when I went outside I realized that I was not going to eat all of them before they went bad.  The day before I had got a really good deal on a box of mangos.  I am glad I tried it because it turned out wonderfully!  I am sure this one won't last long.

Mango Strawberry Daiquiri Jam

2 cups crushed strawberries (about 4 cups sliced)
1 cup finely ripe chopped mangos
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup white rum
5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

1.  In a large, deep, heavy bottomed pot, combine strawberries, mangos, lime juice and rum.  Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
2.  Add sugar in a steady stream, stirring  constantly.  Return to a full boil, stirring constantly.
3.  Immediately stir in pectin; return to a full boil.  Boil  hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.  Stir for 5 to 8 minutes to prevent floating fruit.
5.  Ladle into sterilized jars within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of rim; wipe rimes.  Apply prepared lids and rings; tighten rings just until fingertip-tight.
6. Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.  Transfer jars to a towel-lined surface and let rest at room temperature until set.  Check seals; refrigerate any unsealed jars for up to 3 weeks.

***Makes about five 8-once jars

No comments:

Post a Comment